October 6, 2017 3:20 pm
Updated: October 8, 2017 3:02 pm

Pedestrian wearing earbuds struck and killed by Edmonton LRT: police

WATCH ABOVE: Police say a 22-year-old man has died after being struck by an LRT train on Friday afternoon. Kim Smith reports.


Edmonton police are investigating a fatal collision involving an LRT train and a pedestrian on Friday.

The incident happened in the area of 115A Street and 60 Avenue, near the Alberta School for the Deaf, just minutes before noon.

Police said witnesses told investigators the 22-year-old victim was wearing earbuds as he crossed the LRT tracks and appeared not to see the train approach or hear its horn.

Story continues below

“He waited for a southbound train to cross and then crossed right out in front of the northbound train,” EPS Insp. Erik Johnson explained. “Unfortunately, he didn’t hear the train because he was wearing earbuds at the time, that’s what we’re hearing from witnesses. Unfortunately, he died instantly.

“It’s horribly tragic. Obviously he probably didn’t hear it until the last second and it cost him his life unfortunately.”

Johnson said the driver of the train sounded the horn several times and attempted to slow down, but it was too late.

“Unfortunately, the speeds were still too great.”

City Manager Linda Cochrane said the city will wait until the police investigation is complete to see if there are any improvements that can be made.

“We have horns and the driver has the ability to slow down and we train for those kind of practices all the time.”

Cochrane expressed her sympathy to the family and friends of the victim.

“We couldn’t be more deeply saddened about what has happened. It’s a very difficult situation for everyone, not the least of which certainly the family,” she said.

“It’s a very tragic situation. It’s also difficult for the driver, for the witnesses and for our entire city.”

Watch below: Linda Cochrane expressed her sympathy on behalf of the city after a man was struck and killed by an LRT train on Friday afternoon.

There were about 100 people on the train at the time of the collision, according to police. The passengers were safely escorted off the train.

Johnson said the driver of the train is very shaken.

“He’s definitely in need of our victims’ services unit, which we’ve called out for other passengers on the train as well.”

Buses were brought in to replace trains between the South Campus and Southgate stations. The City of Edmonton said regular train service was back up and running shortly after 3 p.m.

The Major Collision Investigation Section is leading the investigation.

© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error


Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.