Advertisement
Crime

Condolences pour in for Véronique Barbe, slain mother of Quebec boy who was kidnapped

WATCH: The body of 41-year-old Véronique Barbe was found at a home in Saint-Eustache and an Amber Alert has been issued for her six-year-old son. Global's Dan Spector reports.

Condolences are pouring in after a 41-year-old mother from Saint-Eustache, Que., was found dead at a home on Antoine-Seguin Boulevard on Thursday.

Her six-year-old son, Louka Fredette, was missing at the time.

Quebec provincial police said they have reason to believe that Véronique Barbe’s death and her son’s disappearance are related — and that the boy’s father, Ugo Fredette, took him.

The boy was found the next day in Ontario after a manhunt that spanned two provinces. His father was arrested at the scene.

Daniel Barbe, Veronique’s brother, told Global News her doctor had advised her four months earlier that she should separate from Fredette.

He said Fredette had been showing “violence tendencies and acting increasingly bizarre.”

READ MORE: 6-year-old Quebec boy found after amber alert extended to Ontario, father in custody 

In interviews with Global News, the woman’s neighbours recounted often seeing the couple fighting and said they noticed things getting worse in recent weeks.

Story continues below advertisement
“About two months ago, he bought a condo on Binette [Boulevard], he lived elsewhere, he didn’t live here anymore,” said neighbour Alexandre Marceau.

He added that Fredette often came to help around the house and see his son.

Marceau explained Barbe lived in the home with her previous partner.

After they separated, she bought the home and Fredette moved in six or seven years ago.

“She was very kind, she was a nice person,” said neighbour Luis Quinteros.

Tweet This

“I don’t know why this thing happened. This neighbourhood is so quiet.”

A photo of Véronique Barbe found on her Facebook page.
A photo of Véronique Barbe found on her Facebook page. Véronique Barbe/Facebook

They added that Barbe had three other children from a previous relationship.

She also ran a daycare out of her home, which was closed after an alleged incident involving police.

Story continues below advertisement

It had recently reopened.

Police would not say where the other three children were at the time of the homicide.

Facebook friends of Barbe posted on her profile Friday, as news of her death spread.

“Rest in peace, Véronique,” one user named Jeff Grégoire wrote. “I am without words… a tragedy….”

“I want your son to be safe and sound. That he can find his brothers and sisters,” another user named Viviane Beland wrote.

Ugo Fredette, charged with second-degree murder, is expected to appear in court Monday, September 25, 2017.
Ugo Fredette is believed to have abducted his six-year-old son. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO- Sûreté du Québec

 

— With previous Global News files.