Advertisement

U.S. army won’t take transgender recruits till 2018 after Pentagon approves delay

Click to play video 'James Mattis says he will not reverse military policy on women, LGBT soldiers' James Mattis says he will not reverse military policy on women, LGBT soldiers
WATCH: James Mattis says he will not reverse military policy on women, LGBT soldiers – Jan 12, 2017

WASHINGTON, June 30 (Reuters) – Defense Secretary James Mattis on Friday approved a six-month delay in allowing transgender recruits to join the U.S. armed forces, a Pentagon spokeswoman said.

Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said in a statement that Mattis accepted a recommendation to defer transgender applicants until Jan. 1.

The Pentagon ended its ban on openly transgender people serving in the U.S. military in 2016 under the Barack Obama administration. It was expected to start allowing transgender people to begin enlisting this year, provided they had been “stable” in their preferred gender for 18 months.

READ MORE: U.S. military instructed to take steps towards transgender recruits: Pentagon memo

The prospect of a delay under President Donald Trump‘s administration alarmed transgender advocates.

Story continues below advertisement

“There are thousands of transgender service members openly and proudly serving our nation today … what matters is the ability to get the job done – not their gender identity,” said Stephen Peters of the Human Rights Campaign.

READ MORE: Lawsuit against Canadian Forces alleges discrimination against gays and lesbians

Last year, then-Defense Secretary Ash Carter cited a study by the RAND Corporation saying there were about 2,500 transgender active-duty service members and 1,500 reserve transgender service members.

Rand’s figures were within a range, which at the upper end reached 7,000 active duty forces and 4,000 reserves.