Advertisement

5 sent to hospital, 8 displaced after overnight house fire in Fredericton

Click to play video '5 sent to hospital, 8 displaced after overnight house fire in Fredericton' 5 sent to hospital, 8 displaced after overnight house fire in Fredericton
WATCH ABOVE: Eight people are without a home, and five taken to hospital, after a fire swept through a Fredericton duplex early Thursday morning. Global’s Adrienne South reports – Jan 12, 2017

Eight people are homeless — five of whom were taken to hospital early Thursday morning — after a fire on Fairview Drive in Fredericton.

According to Fredericton police spokesperson Alycia Bartlett, fire crews were called to the duplex, which housed two families, at 3 a.m.

A fire in a duplex in Fredericton displaced two families and sent five people to hospital. Adrienne South/Global News
A fire in a duplex in Fredericton displaced two families and sent five people to hospital. Adrienne South/Global News
A fire in a duplex in Fredericton displaced two families and sent five people to hospital. Adrienne South/Global News
A fire in a duplex in Fredericton displaced two families and sent five people to hospital. Adrienne South/Global News

Five were treated for smoke inhalation in hospital, and another was treated for minor injuries.

Story continues below advertisement

Nineteen firefighters and six apparatuses responded to the fire, which was knocked down within an hour, Bartlett said.

The Canadian Red Cross is helping members of the two families displaced by the fire. The Red Cross says insurance is taking care of finding emergency lodging for the families.

Kitchen fire displaces Saint John residents

The Canadian Red Cross is also providing emergency housing, food and other assistance to three adults displaced by fire in Saint John Wednesday night.

According to Red Cross spokesperson Dan Bedell, a kitchen fire in a unit of an apartment building on Coldbrook Crescent has left a woman, her son and his partner homeless.

Other tenants of the building were evacuated until smoke could be ventilated from the building.

— With files from Adrienne South, Global News. 

Sponsored content