The act of tailgating, more traditionally associated with American sports, is being brought north of the border for the Toronto Argonauts’ 2016 season.
The CFL club made the announcement at a press conference in a parking lot at Ontario Place on Wednesday.
“We are revolutionizing our game day experience by bringing tailgating to our games at BMO Field this year,” said Argos President and CEO Michael Copeland. “With our move to an outdoor and intimate stadium, we have a real opportunity to reinvent the Argos experience and it all starts with this.”
Fans will be able to bring their own barbecues to prepare their own food, purchase beer for $4 in a licensed area, play games and socialize with other fans hours before kickoff. Due to provincial liquor regulations, fans will not be allowed to bring their own alcohol.
A minimum of 250 parking spots will be available in the licensed area at Ontario Place Lot #1 for each game, with hundreds of additional parking spots added at Ontario Place and Exhibition Place for some matches depending on other events on site.
Season seat holders will be offered an exclusive opportunity to purchase parking spots in the tailgate area starting this Friday at 10:00 a.m.
A limited number of parking spots will be retained for purchase by the general public on a game-by-game basis.
The Argonauts have been actively promoting the team ahead of the 2016 season, which kicks off June 23, with an advertising blitz on billboards, bus stops and on social media.
Argos Tailgate 101
- Minimum of 250 parking spots in a licensed area at Ontario Place Lot #1 for every game
- Hundreds of additional parking spots may become available at Ontario Place and Exhibition Place for certain games (depending on other events on site)
- Beer will be sold in the licensed area for $4.00 each
- Other beverages, like coolers, will also be made available
- Fans are not permitted to bring their own alcohol due to provincial liquor regulations
- Propane and charcoal BBQs will be permitted. Propane tanks can be no larger than 20 lbs
- The designated tailgating parking lots will open at least three hours prior to kickoff
- Parking spots will be sold with a $5.00 premium on normal event parking rates – $30 at Ontario Place and $35 at Exhibition Place and will need to be purchased in advance as part of a season pass (at Ontario Place) or half-season pass (at Exhibition Place)
- Season seat holders will have the first opportunity to purchase tailgating parking spots
- A limited number of parking spots will be reserved for sale to the general public during the week leading up to the game
- As additional parking spots become available for certain games, season seat holders will have the first opportunity to purchase spots