Advertisement

Abu Sayyaf vows to behead Canadian hostage if ransom not paid by Apr. 25

Robert Hall, left, and John Ridsdel are seen in this still image taken from a militant video released in October. In a new video, posted online Thursday, militants set a new April 25 deadline for their demands to be met. (File photo).
Robert Hall, left, and John Ridsdel are seen in this still image taken from a militant video released in October. In a new video, posted online Thursday, militants set a new April 25 deadline for their demands to be met. (File photo). YouTube/The Canadian Press

The federal government say it’s aware of the latest video released by the terror group Abu Sayyaf, vowing to behead Canadian hostages John Ridsdel and Robert Hall if ransom isn’t paid in the next 10 days.

“We’re told that this is the absolute final warning so this is a final urgent appeal to governments, Philippine, Canadian, and families,” Postmedia reported Ridsdel, a former Canadian mining executive, saying in the video. “They will behead me.”

“I am told to tell you that my ransom is 300 million [Philippines pesos],” Hall reportedly said. The purported ransom amount is equal to about C$8.3 million.
Story continues below advertisement

The video, which has already been pulled down from YouTube, comes a week after a previous deadline passed. The group had been demanding the equivalent of $28 million for each of the hostages.

READ MORE: ‘They will execute us’: Ransom deadline set for Canadians held hostage in Philippines

“Notice to the families, to the Canadian government, and to the Philippine government. Now that the deadline of warning is over last April 8, 2016, but still you procrastinate. Now, this is already an ultimatum. Once you don’t meet the demand, we will certainly behead one among the four (hostages) this coming April 25 at exactly 3 p.m.,” the Philippines’ GMA News Online reported one of the armed captors saying in the video.

The Canadian government would not go into any details about the situation or what efforts have been made to secure the release of the two Canadian men.

READ MORE: Canadians kidnapped in the Philippines: Here’s what you need to know

“The Government of Canada will not comment or release any information which may compromise ongoing efforts or endanger the safety of Canadian citizens,” Global Affairs Canada spokesperson Rachna Mishra said in an email Friday afternoon.

Ridsdel and Hall were kidnapped from a marina in the southern Philippines resort island of Samal on Sept. 21. They have been held captive along with Marites Flor, reported to be Hall’s Filipna partner, and Norwegian hostage, Kjartan Sekkingstad, the manager of the Ocean View Samal Resort.

Story continues below advertisement
WATCH: Coverage of the kidnapping of Canadians Robert Hall and John Ridsdel.

Sponsored content