EDMONTON – Residents in northeast Edmonton were evacuated from their homes early Tuesday morning after a collision caused a natural gas leak.
Just after midnight an SUV lost control near 34 Street and Abbotsfield Road, hitting a utility structure and severing a gas line.
Fire crews were called in to monitor air quality.
The leak in the Beverly area forced emergency crews to evacuate a nearby 20-unit condo building. Approximately 50 people were forced out. Edmonton Transit buses were used to keep people warm.
ATCO gas and Edmonton Fire Rescue crews were on scene through the night. Residents were allowed back inside at approximately 9:45 a.m.
Crews went door-to-door to re-light natural gas appliances. If residents don’t want to wait for ATCO crews, there are instructions posted on the company’s website.
More to come…