American Express has come out on top on a list of the best travel reward credit cards in Canada, according to a survey by RewardsCanada.ca.
The website released its eighth annual ranking of Canada’s Top Travel Rewards Credit Cards on Tuesday, citing American Express’ Gold Rewards as the top overall card.
Canada is saturated with more than 75 credit cards that offer travel rewards – but not all of them are created equally.
RewardsCanada.ca ranks these cards in six major categories including Travel Points (with annual fee), Travel Points (with no annual fee), Hybrid (flexible currency), Airline and Hotel.
The ranking of Best Overall Travel Reward Card is new for 2016.
“Many Canadians carry different travel rewards cards for different purposes,” said RewardsCanada.ca founder Patrick Sojka in a news release. “However, a growing number of consumers are looking to reduce the number of programs they belong to and want one card for all their travel needs.”
The credit cards are evaluated by key factors including cost, co-brand partnerships, rate-of-return, benefits and redemption options.
“The American Express Gold Rewards Card checks all the boxes,” explains Sojka. “As a hybrid card, it’s really the most flexible way to earn and redeem points.”
Canada’s top travel credit cards for 2016
- Best Overall Travel Reward Card: American Express Gold Rewards Card
- Travel Points (with annual fee): Capital One Aspire Travel World Elite MasterCard
- Travel Points (with no annual fee): American Express Blue Sky Credit Card
- Hybrid: American Express Gold Rewards Card
- Airline: TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite
- Hotel: The Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express