Canadian soldier stabs pregnant wife before plunging to death from Toronto balcony: police

TORONTO — A Canadian soldier allegedly stabbed his pregnant wife multiple times and threw her off of an apartment building balcony in Toronto Sunday night, before plunging to his death. This according to Toronto police who are investigating the suspected homicide.

Police said Precious Charbonneau, 33, and Robert Giblin, 43, both of Toronto, were a recently married and living in the apartment together when they fell from the 21st floor balcony at 111 Raglan Ave., near Bathurst Street and St. Clair Avenue, just before 6 p.m.

Their bodies were discovered with “obvious signs of trauma” and police said Charbonneau was the victim of a homicide. It is believed that Charbonneau was nine weeks’ pregnant.

An autopsy was conducted Monday and police said the cause of death was “multiple impact injuries” consistent with a fall.

Investigators said they believe Giblin was responsible for Charbonneau’s death and are not pursuing any more suspects.

Story continues below advertisement

“I was out on the balcony having a smoke and she went right by me,” said second floor resident Ryan Darbyson.

“I thought somebody tossed a garbage bag out of their window and when I looked down, what I saw was something that I should not have and will now never forget.”

Darbyson said he immediately dialed 911 and was on the phone with authorities when a second body struck the ground.

“There was nothing, there was not even a sound. Even when he hit there was not even a sound,” he said, adding that he called out to his wife after the first body fell.

“Anybody who said they heard screaming, they probably heard me.”

The Canadian Department of National Defence confirms Giblin was a sergeant from the Joint Task Force Central (JTFC) based out of the Denison Armoury in Toronto.

“The loss of any soldier is devastating to the military community and our thoughts and condolences go out to Sergeant Robert Giblin’s family and friends,” said DND spokesman Lonny Kates.

Kates said Giblin was a regular force member who joined the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) in 1997.

He was deployed on HMCS Regina in 2003 and to Afghanistan in 2005 and 2007. He was also an intelligence operator.

Story continues below advertisement
“[Building management] told me he was always downstairs everyday complaining and yelling and screaming about something about the building and she just told me that something was wrong with him mentally,” he said.

“Obviously he wasn’t getting the care that he needed because you can see the result.”

The police homicide squad has taken over the investigation. Investigators are urging any witnesses to come forward and contact Toronto police or Crime Stoppers.

With files from David Shum