UPDATE: Death of man following Edmonton apartment fire ruled homicide

EDMONTON — Police said Wednesday the death of a 54-year-old man who died from injuries suffered in an apartment fire last Sunday was a homicide.

Fire crews were called to the blaze at a four-storey walk up in the area of 115 Street and 107 Avenue just after 7:30 a.m. The fire engulfed parts of the third and fourth floors, prompting a second alarm to be called at around 7:50 a.m.

District Chief Dave Matwichuk with Edmonton Fire Rescue Services said two people were rescued from a third floor balcony. A third person was rescued from the fourth floor.

Two residents were taken to the Royal Alexandra Hospital to be treated.  Gregory Alan Fenton, 54, died from his injuries on Friday.

The Edmonton Police Service’s Homicide Section and Arson Unit are investigating the fire, which is considered suspicious. The cause of the fire is not yet known.

Story continues below advertisement

About 35 people were forced out of the building while crews worked to contain the blaze. The Red Cross said it would be helping 25 people with clothing, food and lodging for the next 72 hours.

Edmonton Emergency Relief Services also responded to the fire at 11505 107 Street. A spokesperson said 20 to 30 people, including children, have been displaced from their homes. The number of uninsured is not yet known.

The agency said one family didn’t even have shoes or coats on when they arrived to pick up basic supplies.

Edmonton Emergency Relief Services is running low on the following items:

  • New toiletries
  • Men’s underwear
  • Winter boots and shoes (all ages)
  • Generic clothing, such as sweat pants and T-shirts

Anyone with information about the fire is asked to contact the EPS at 780-423-4567 or #377 from a mobile phone. Anonymous information can be submitted to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or online.

*Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on Nov. 29 and was updated Dec. 4 to include the information that the man had passed away. It was updated on Dec. 9 to include confirmation the death was a homicide.

Sponsored content