August 14, 2015 6:09 pm
Updated: August 14, 2015 6:29 pm

Drake breaks silence on Muzik nightclub shootings

Canadian singer Drake performs on the main stage at Wireless festival in Finsbury Park, London, Friday, July 3, 2015.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP/Photo by Joel Ryan/Invision/AP
A A

TORONTO — Rapper Drake has spoken out on the Muzik nightclub shooting.

The Toronto rapper has controversially ducked the public eye since last week’s fatal shooting at the Muzik nightclub after party for his own OVO Fest. Duvel Hibbert, 23, of Brampton, and Ariela Navarro-Fenoy, 26, of Toronto were killed and another three people injured.

Drake took flak for his reticence in the face of very public appeals to take an active role in helping curb gun violence. Crimestoppers issued a Twitter plea last week, adding the hashtag “#NoMoreGuns.

Story continues below

However, the rapper stayed inexplicably quiet.

After more than a week of silence, Drake issued a statement Friday on his blog October’s Very Own. He explained his silence by saying he was following the guidance of “my trusted advisors and counsel who worry that anything I might say could be misinterpreted,” but added said “today I am choosing to follow my heart.”

“I am plagued and pained by the violence that continues to escalate in our city,” he said.

“I stare into the eyes of so many young people and I wish to see them all shine as bright as they possibly can in this lifetime. I encourage my generation to show as much value and gratitude as you can for the lives we have been gifted.”

He offered condolences to the families of both victims, and to all those who’ve lost loved ones due to “to the senseless violence that has and continues to occur in our city.”

Police have identified two persons of interest and are appealing to the public for further tips and information.

© 2015 Shaw Media

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.