Crown drops two sexual assault charges against Jian Ghomeshi
WATCH ABOVE: Some of the charges against former CBC Radio host have been dropped. The crown says there isn’t enough evidence to convict him on those charges. Mike Drolet reports.
TORONTO – Crown prosecutors in the Jian Ghomeshi sexual assault case have dropped two charges against the former CBC radio host.
A Toronto court heard on Tuesday that there isn’t enough evidence to convict the former Q host on two of seven sexual assault charges.
The case against Ghomeshi, who did not make an appearance, was back in court Tuesday where trial dates have been set.
Ghomeshi will face four counts of sexual assault and one of choking in February 2016 stemming from three alleged victims.
He will return to court for a second trial in June to face one charge of sexual assault from another separate alleged victim.
The court also heard on Tuesday the trial will be conducted by judge only and without a jury.
The proceedings have been scheduled to take place at Toronto’s Old City Hall.
Ghomeshi had previously denied the allegations of sexual assault in multiple Facebook posts and said while he engaged in rough sex, his relationships with women were consensual.
His lawyer had previously said he will plead not guilty to all charges.