Advertisement

All Blacks winger Guildford suspended over Cook Islands incident

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – All Blacks winger Zac Guildford will miss the opening match of the 2012 Super 15 season after being suspended by the New Zealand Rugby Union for drunken misbehaviour during a Cook Islands holiday last month.

Guildford punched two men after arriving drunk, naked and bleeding at Trader Jacks’ bar in the Cook Islands capital of Nuku’alofa while visiting the Pacific nation for the wedding of a friend.

The incident marked the fourth time in 18 months that the 22-year-old Canterbury Crusaders winger had been involved in misbehaviour related to alcohol. He appeared at a news conference during the Rugby World Cup in October to apologize for his conduct following a Tri-Nations test against Australia.

A New Zealand Rugby Union misconduct hearing, details of which were released on Wednesday, found that Guildford’s behaviour in the Cooks Islands was unprofessional and had brought the game into disrepute. As part of his punishment, he is required to undergo alcohol treatment and counselling at his own expense.

Story continues below advertisement

Guildford was suspended for the first four weeks of the Crusaders’ Super 12 season. Though the ban encompasses three preseason matches – against the Otago Highlanders, Wellington Hurricanes and Melbourne Rebels – he will miss only one competitive match, against the Auckland Blues on Feb. 24.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.
By providing your email address, you have read and agree to Global News' Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

He will be eligible to play in the Crusaders’ second match of the 2012 season, against the Highlanders on March 3.

The New Zealand union’s general manager of professional rugby, Neil Sorensen, said receiving professional treatment and counselling was an essential part of Guildford’s rehabilitation.

“Taking players out of rugby is not something we do lightly,” Sorensen said. “But we have taken into account the fact that with regard to alcohol-related behaviour, Zac does not have an exemplary record.

“On this occasion he embarrassed himself, his family, his teammates and New Zealand Rugby. We believe Zac brought the game into disrepute and the sanctions reflect the gravity of the situation and the need for a real pathway to recovery.”

Guildford said his behaviour had been unacceptable and he was working to resolve his issues with alcohol.

“I am embarrassed by what has happened, but I know that I let down the many people who support me,” he said. “I am focused on getting myself into the place I need to be when I return to rugby next year.”

Advertisement

Sponsored content

AdChoices