Advertisement

Robert Plant denies he turned down Led Zeppelin reunion offer

Robert Plant
Robert Plant. Handout

TORONTO — Robert Plant has shot down a report that he rejected an $800 million offer for a Led Zeppelin reunion tour.

A statement from the 66-year-old rocker’s spokesman Ken Weinstein said Plant “has not been in receipt of any offers in recent months” and hasn’t spoken to Virgin chair Richard Branson — who, the reports claim, made the offer — in five decades.

The statement dismissed the report in Britain’s Sunday Mirror as “fabricated.”

Branson also denied there was ever an offer.

The report claimed Branson offered $800 million for a 35-date reunion tour with Plant and the other surviving members Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, with Jason Bonham filling in on drums for his father John, who died in 1980.

“Jimmy, John and Jason [Bonham] signed up immediately,” the newspaper claimed. “It was a no-brainer for them but Robert asked for 48 hours to think about it. When he said no and ripped up the paperwork he had been given, there was an enormous sense of shock… There is no way they can go ahead without him.”
Story continues below advertisement

The Mirror has removed the article from its website.

Plant, Page and Jones came together in 2007 for a one-time performance.

Plant has recorded 10 solo albums, including this year’s lullaby and… The Ceaseless Roar.

The singer told Global News in August there’s a simple trick to keeping his voice healthy.

“I just keep working,” said Plant.

“A lot of my peers must think that I’m absolutely nuts because I do work a lot. But I have a great time doing it and I’m in really good company. My spirits are high and I don’t believe there is anything I can’t do.”

Plant said he doesn’t intend to stop making music.

“As long as I’ve got something to talk about that fits against a pretty chord progression,” he said, “I shall write songs.”