August 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Leduc expands bus service to and from Edmonton

Leduc Transit is expanding to accommodate commuters travelling between Edmonton and Leduc.

Global News

EDMONTON – Commuters will find it a little easier to travel between Edmonton and Leduc starting in September.

The expanded Leduc Transit service will offer nine new buses starting Sept. 2 – with additional stops at the Edmonton International Airport, Leduc Business Park, Nisku Industrial Business Park and Edmonton’s Century Park Transit Centre.

Story continues below

“The Government of Alberta, through the GreenTRIP program, is committed to investing in innovative projects that better connect our communities,” said Transportation Minister Wayne Drysdale. “Leduc’s improved intermunicipal transit service will help to reduce traffic congestion on provincial highways and serve a need in the region.”

The cost of the expansion is $5.2 million. The province is covering $3.4 million through capital grant funding. The City of Leduc will pay 65 per cent of the operating cost, with Leduc County covering the remaining 35 per cent.

“We anticipate usage of Leduc Transit system will continue to increase as our region continues to grow,” said City of Leduc Mayor Greg Krischke.

According to the city and county, transit ridership in the area has increased by about 25 per cent annually since the C-Line was introduced in November 2010, which offered service between the City of Leduc, Nisku, and Edmonton.

Read More: Transit to Edmonton International starts Monday

“We are proud of the collaboration between Leduc County and the City of Leduc to bring our residents and commuters an enhanced intermunicipal transit service,” said Leduc County Mayor John Whaley.

Leduc is 35 kilometres south of Edmonton.

© 2014 Shaw Media

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.