June 2, 2014 5:53 pm
Updated: June 2, 2014 7:38 pm

2 dogs dead, after being poisoned in Lethbridge


CALGARY- Just days after three dogs were poisoned in Calgary, two dogs in Lethbridge have died after ingesting a highly toxic powder.

On Monday, Lethbridge Police confirmed they are investigating the deaths of two miniature schnauzers. They were being walked on the afternoon of May 25 from 13 Ave. to 17 Ave. N, but after returning home they started convulsing.

Story continues below

The owner rushed them to the vet, but they were pronounced dead on arrival.

As the result of necropsies and toxicology testing, it has been confirmed that the dogs died of strychnine poisoning. Strychnine is a highly toxic, colourless chemical, commonly used as a pesticide. It is also used to kill birds and rodents.

“This is extremely concerning to us,” said Kristen Harding from the Lethbridge Regional Police Service. “Notwithstanding the devastating loss for the owner of these two beloved dogs, if someone is deliberately putting out poisoned food there is the potential that a child could come into contact with it and be harmed.”

READ MORE: Warning issued, after 2 dogs killed by sausage soaked in antifreeze

Investigators are also concerned, after receiving a similar complaint on May 30. Two dogs living in the 700 block of 12 Street N fell ill, and it’s believed that they were poisoned. Fortunately they are now recovering.

Police are urging anyone with children or small pets to be vigilant, especially those who live in the affected neighbourhoods.

Anyone with information about the incidents are asked to call police or Crime Stoppers.

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.

Global News