Advertisement

Jury hears accused mass killer shot up Winnipeg suite after days of drugs, drinking

Click to play video: 'Langside shooting suspect, now in custody, was on court release: Winnipeg police'
Langside shooting suspect, now in custody, was on court release: Winnipeg police
RELATED - Langside shooting suspect, now in custody, was on court release: Winnipeg police – Dec 1, 2023

A Crown prosecutor says a man accused of fatally shooting five people in a Winnipeg rooming house opened fire after days of using drugs and drinking alcohol there.

A jury trial started Tuesday for Jamie Felix, who faces five counts of second-degree murder.

He has pleaded not guilty to the killings in the West Broadway neighbourhood building in November 2023.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.
By providing your email address, you have read and agree to Global News' Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Prosecutor Georgia Couturier says in her opening argument that Felix fired nine shots into a unit that was a known drug den.

She says he then turned the gun on himself, but there were no bullets left.

She says Felix fled the area and was arrested by police five days later.

The victims were identified as Crystal Beardy, 34; her sister Stephanie Beardy, 33; Melelek Lesikel, 29; Dylan Lavallee, 41; and Shawn Marko, 56.

Story continues below advertisement

Two were pronounced dead at the scene, and two died soon after in hospital. Marko, who had been in hospital since the shooting, died last year.

Sponsored content

AdChoices