Watch: Raw video from the scene of the shooting
MONTREAL – Quebec provincial police have confirmed that a man in his forties has died after being shot by police in downtown Montreal on Monday.
The incident took place near the corner of Berri and Ontario streets at around 11 a.m., where a large security perimeter has now been created.
Drivers are asked to avoid the area. Ontario Street has been closed to traffic between St. Denis and St. Hubert streets. Berri Street is also closed between Maisonneuve Boulevard and Ontario Street.
Police arrived at the scene after receiving numerous 9-1-1 calls reporting that a man, armed with a hammer, was aggressively attacking someone in the area.
The suspect was shot by an officer during a confrontation.
A witness told Global News that the man was walking with the hammer in hand as police approached him.
He then jumped on a vehicle and started threatening officers.
When he got down, police tried to control him by holding him to the ground.
When the man stood up, he turned and raised his hammer in the air.
The witness said he seemed about to hit an officer, who was still lying on the ground.
It was at that point that the witness heard four shots, and the man holding the hammer collapsed.
After being treated at the scene by paramedics, he was transferred to hospital, where he later died.
The officers involved in the incident were being treated for nervous shock.
There are reports that an officer with a non-lethal weapon was en route to the scene, but before this officer arrived, the shooting took place.
The suspect was apparently known to police, who believe that he may have attacked someone prior to the confrontation.
The man was apparently very agitated and according to another witness, had been breaking windows of a hotel on Berri Street prior to the incident.
Police are asking anyone who may have been attacked – or witnessed an attack – to come forward.
The investigation into the shooting has been transferred to the Quebec provincial police.