Menu

Topics

Connect

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.

Toronto mother denied bail for attempted murder, after allegedly throwing son off balcony

RELATED: Toronto mother charged after allegedly pushing 4-year-old son off balcony – May 14, 2025

A Toronto mother who allegedly threw her four-year-old son off a 10th-floor balcony from a downtown condominium building three weeks ago has been denied bail.

Story continues below advertisement

Sitting in a video booth at the Vanier Institute for Women, wearing a green prison sweatsuit, the woman, whose identity is covered by a publication ban to protect the identity of the child, put her head in her hands as Justice of the Peace Paul Yeung told the accused she would not be released.

The decision, which was read out in the Ontario Court of Justice on Monday, followed a lengthy special bail hearing over a number of days last week in which the defence proposed a plan for release.

On May 12th, around 10 p.m., police were called to a condo building on Front Street east of Spadina Avenue, after a child was located on the ground. Tenants told Global News that the child had been found in the bushes near the front entrance of the building. The child was taken to the Hospital for Sick Children with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

The woman was charged with attempted murder, administering a noxious substance, namely tylenol and/or acetaminophen and alcohol, to endanger life, failing to provide the necessaries of life for a child under 16, and aggravated assault.

Story continues below advertisement

Court documents obtained by Global News find the woman, who turned 34 last week while in custody, had previously been charged with mischief and two counts of assault in relation to the child’s father in August 2023. Those charges are still before the court.

The justice of the peace’s reasons for denying bail to the woman are covered under a publication ban.

The woman returns to court later this month and has been ordered to have no contact with the child or the child’s father while awaiting trial.

Advertisement

You are viewing an Accelerated Mobile Webpage.

View Original Article