KELOWNA — Two Kelowna homes were damaged by fire earlier today as flames jumped from one structure to the other.
The fire started in a carport on Eldorado Road in Kelowna’s Mission this morning before spreading to a neighbour’s garage.
Resident Haleh Khoshekr says she had just came home from shopping when she noticed an extension cord inside the home — charging an Ipad — was melting.
“I just took it out and ran outside.”
Marek Wilk — who happened to be visiting his son who lives next door — says he saw the smoke and called 911 but that was all he could do.
“We had fire extinguishers somewhere but I couldn’t locate it. Maybe if I had that fire extinguisher we could stop that right away, but no.”
Within second of the fire starting, it quickly took out the neighbour’s hedge and then spread to the neighbour’s garage. As for the cause, officials are looking at electric as the possible source.
“That would be one of the places to look at because they haven’t used the fireplace,” says KFP platoon captain, Laurie Serres.
The heavy damage was isolated to the exterior of the home — mostly in the carport. Officials say it looks like the occupants will be allowed to return but not for at least a couple of days.