‘Hamilton’ breaks Broadway record following Mike Pence debacle
The musical Hamilton pulled in more than $3 million last week, smashing a Broadway record and bucking any expectations of backlash following an onstage tongue lashing of Vice-President-elect Mike Pence.
Eight performances of the show, in the week ending Nov. 27, netted US $3.26 million; the previous week the performances pulled in $2.45 million. The spike was due to the consistently sold-out show’s top ticket price rising to $998 from $549.
The haul broke a record set by Wicked, which previously pulled in $3.2 million during a nine-performance week, The New York Times reports.
Cast member Brandon Victor Dixon took to the stage following the show’s Nov. 18 performance to make pointed remarks to Pence, who was in attendance.
“We, sir, are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights,” Dixon said while Pence was exiting his orchestra seat.
“We truly hope this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and work on behalf of all of us. All of us.”
The cast has since said there will not be an apology to Pence. The statements have the ongoing support of the show’s creator, Lin-Manuel Miranda.
Pence has downplayed the cast member’s statements, saying he “wasn’t offended.”
— With files from Peder Myhr
© 2016 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.