Recipe: Cumin carrot tarts
Carrot Carrot Tarts
Makes one 10-12” round tart with 1-1.5” sides or 2 – 6” x 6” square tarts with 1-1.5” sides
Tart shells pre-baked. If you don’t have time to make your own tart shell, purchasing frozen from the store is a good alternative.
Fromage frais Filling
1 lb Fromage frais, we used Little Qualicum Cheeseworks
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper, medium grind
1/2 cup half-and-half cream
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
680g peeled carrots, cut into 1″ diagonals
90g (about 1/4 cup) shallots, cut into 1/4″ slices
4 cloves of garlic
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1.5 tsp whole cumin seeds
4 strips of orange zest, approx. 1″ x 3″
3 tbsp orange juice, freshly squeezed
3 sprigs of thyme
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp maldon salt
1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper, coarse
1 tbsp lemon juice
Cracked black pepper
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl and reserve in the fridge for later use. Can be made up to two days in advance.
1. Preheat the oven to 475F
2. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss.
3. Prepare a large sheet pan or two half-sheet pans and fill with the carrot mixture, making sure the carrots are in one layer.
4. Roast the carrots for 15 to 20 minutes. Once the carrots are fork tender but not mushy. Edges should be well caramelized and the liquid should be mostly evaporated. Let cool to room temperature.
1. Using a small palette knife, fill the bottom of the tart shell with fromage frais filling, about 3/4 way up the sides.
2. Arrange the roasted carrot mixture on the tart shell, leaving out the thyme and orange peel.
3. Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs, maldon salt and cracked black pepper.
4. Serve at room temperature and within 1 hour.
More Global BC recipes are available here