SIU charges officer in death of pedestrian
TORONTO – The province’s Special Investigations Unit has charged a York Regional Police officer in relation to the death of an 18-year-old pedestrian killed earlier this year.
The SIU says it has reasonable grounds to charge Det. Const. Remo Romano after the unmarked police cruiser he was driving struck and killed Natasha Abogado on Feb. 18 as she was walking on St. Clair Avenue East, west of Warden Avenue.
The incident occurred while the officer was conducting mobile surveillance, York Regional Police said in a statement released Thursday.
York Police Chief Eric Jolliffe called the incident “a terrible tragedy” that has devastated everyone involved.
“On behalf of all members of York Regional Police, I extend our deepest condolences to the Abogado family on their loss,” Jolliffe said in a statement.
He also said York police are conducting their own internal investigation into the fatal accident.
Const. Romano is facing one count of dangerous driving causing death and is scheduled to appear in a Toronto courtroom on July 24.
The SIU is called in to investigate incidents involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault.
© 2014 Shaw Media