June 12, 2014 1:29 pm

Edmonton man acquitted in death of good samaritan

Watch above: A man accused in a hit-and-run death of a good samaritan two years ago has been found not guilty. Laurel Gregory reports.

EDMONTON – Kieran Porter was acquitted Thursday morning of careless driving and failing to stop at an accident in the death of a good samaritan.

Porter was accused of hitting Andrew Green with his vehicle on June 13, 2012 then leaving the scene.

Police say Green was struck and killed instantly by a passing vehicle as he was helping a driver whose vehicle had broken down on the side of Anthony Henday Drive and 62 Ave, near the Callingwood Road exit.

Andrew Green, 46, was killed in June 2012 after being struck by a vehicle while trying to change a stranger’s flat tire on Anthony Henday Drive.


Story continues below

During the trial, court heard testimony from three Edmonton police officers.

Sgt. Nikolaus Bult described the scene on June 13, 2012 from a distance, saying nothing impeded his view of the vehicles and that Green was struck with such force he had an “open and catastrophic” head injury. Bult added when Green’s body hit his red car it “dislodged the muffler.”

Two more officers shared details during the trial about their roles in the investigation.

Sgt. Kerry Bates said the day after the fatal crash he attended a meeting in the lobby of police headquarters where Porter and his lawyer handed in a statement.

Cst. Rohitas Chandra said he later served Porter with a search warrant to obtain his Porsche SUV.

“He was calm and the conversation made sense,” said Cst. Chandra.

However, Justice Shelley said the Crown couldn’t prove Porter was the driver who struck and killed Green.

The decision came down to evidence that was deemed inadmissible because the judge determined Porter’s charter rights had been violated.

The evidence included statements that Porter made to his insurance company and a collision statement made to police, which cannot be used in court proceedings against the person who gave the statement.

Porter appeared to have no emotion during the proceedings, and left quickly after the judge’s decision.

The Crown has told Global News they will be reviewing the decision, but it’s unclear what their next steps will be.

BELOW: Reason for the decision

© Shaw Media, 2014

Report an error