A frost advisory has been issued for all of central and southern Saskatchewan including the City of Saskatoon and the City of Regina.
Frost is expected across the region overnight into Saturday morning.
A cool and dry airmass coupled with light winds will give the likelihood of patchy frost in the early morning hours of Saturday.
Residents are being warned to cover up plants, especially those in frost-prone and low-lying areas.
Weather advisories for frost are issued when temperatures are expected to reach the freezing mark during the growing season, leading to potential damage and destruction of plants and crops.
This frost advisory is the first of its kind ever issued in Saskatchewan with a new warning system now used by Environment Canada that came into place in early April.
Temperatures in the Saskatoon and Regina may be slightly warmer, however plant owners are urged to take precautionary measures to cover any plants as necessary.
The cool airmass settling in overnight was the same one that brought snow to parts of Northern Saskatchewan overnight Thursday into Friday morning.
Conditions are expected to rebound significantly through the day Saturday with temperatures approaching 20 degrees across much of the province by mid-afternoon.
The risk for frost will likely not be an issue after Saturday morning as overnight lows return to the mid-single digits for most areas on Sunday.
Frost Advisory for:
- City of Saskatoon
- City of Regina
- Prince Albert – Shellbrook – Spiritwood – Duck Lake
- Melfort – Tisdale – Nipawin – Carrot River
- Martensville – Warman – Rosthern – Delisle – Wakaw
- Outlook – Watrous – Hanley – Imperial – Dinsmore
- Humboldt – Wynyard – Wadena – Lanigan – Foam Lake
- Meadow Lake – Big River – Green Lake – Pierceland
- The Battlefords – Unity – Maidstone – St. Walburg
- Swift Current – Herbert – Cabri – Kyle – Lucky Lake
- Moose Jaw – Pense – Central Butte – Craik
- Fort Qu’Appelle – Indian Head – Lumsden – Pilot Butte
- Yorkton – Melville – Esterhazy
- Moosomin – Grenfell – Kipling – Wawota
- Kamsack – Canora – Preeceville
- Shaunavon – Maple Creek – Val Marie – Cypress Hills
- Leader – Gull Lake
- Kindersley – Rosetown – Biggar – Wilkie – Macklin
- Estevan – Weyburn – Radville – Milestone
- Assiniboia – Gravelbourg – Coronach
- Carlyle – Oxbow – Carnduff – Bienfait – Stoughton
- Hudson Bay – Porcupine Plain
© Shaw Media, 2014