ABOVE: Speaking to reporters Friday morning, NDP leader Andrea Horwath slammed the Wynne Liberals for their “corruption, scandals, and waste” in the wake of another OPP visit to Queen’s Park
TORONTO – Ontario’s opposition parties are demanding Premier Kathleen Wynne ensure all documents on the cancelled gas plants are made public immediately, following word of another OPP visit to the legislature.
The Progressive Conservatives and New Democrats held early news conferences at Queen’s Park after a report that the OPP anti-rackets squad served a court order at the legislature Wednesday.
PC energy critic Lisa MacLeod says the OPP were looking for visitors logs that the justice committee had requested but could not get, to try and figure out when an outside computer expert was brought into the premier’s office.
The OPP earlier seized 24 computer hard drives from the premier’s office and determined some had been wiped clean of data during the transition of power from former premier Dalton McGuinty to Wynne.
WATCH: Premier Wynne says she’s fully cooperating with OPP investigation into the cancelled gas plants
MacLeod says with an election just six days away, Wynne has a responsibility to voters to make sure all the gas plant documents are made public today.
NDP Leader Andrea Horwath says the police visit to the legislature is another reminder of why Ontario needs a change of government June 12.
It has been estimated that the Liberal government’s decision to cancel the gas plants in Oakville and Mississauga will cost taxpayers as much as $1.1 billion.
The Liberals issued a statement Thursday night saying the OPP investigation is focused on David Livingston, McGuinty’s former chief of staff, not Wynne or her office.
“The OPP is conducting its investigation into allegations against the former premier’s chief of staff and is doing so in a completely independent manner,” said Liberal campaign spokesperson Rebecca MacKenzie. “No ministers, MPPs or political staff are captured by this (court) order.”
© 2014 The Canadian Press