May 17, 2014 6:21 pm

Significant twist in Douglas Hales murder trial

Second week of Douglas Hales murder trial winds down with a significant twist.

Meaghan Craig / Global News

SASKATOON – During the first-degree murder trial of Douglas Hales, who is accused of killing 25-year-old Daleen Bosse, he claims to police he did kill her – but in a different way.

Just before noon Friday, retired Sgt. Glenn Cox with the Saskatoon Police Service took the stand. Cox was one of the officers assigned to the Bosse case when she disappeared in May of 2004.

Cox was also one of the interrogating officers in 2008 when Hales was arrested and charged with first-degree murder and offering an indignity to human remains.

Story continues below

Court watched two hours of what appears to be a three-and-a-half hour video on Friday. It shows members of the major crimes unit questioning Hales about his involvement in Bosse’s death.

“I’m not sitting here asking if you did it. We know you did it,” said Cox in the video.

“Doug, you are a good person and something bad has happened to you,” said Cox on the video tape, before proceeding to bring up Hales’ grandmother who passed away and his son.

Hales begins to cry uncontrollably, as Cox says “I believe you didn’t intend to kill her.”

Between tears, Hales can be heard saying that he didn’t and that he thought Bosse was dead.

In earlier testimony, a witness testified to seeing Bosse at Jax nightclub and said she had been kicked out for being too drunk.

During a police interview in 2008, Hales told police that after Bosse was kicked out, they drank together but at some point she stopped talking, stopped moving and he thought he had killed her with alcohol.

Hales claims he could not find a pulse on Bosse and that she had become cold. That is when he took her out of the car and lit her on fire.

Hales said he thought it was the right thing to do.

When asked why police should believe this version of the story and not the one he told undercover agents, Hales said he was trying to impress them.

The video is not yet considered evidence.

The crown plans on calling seven more witnesses to the stand before resting its case.

This marks the halfway point of the trial, which is scheduled to run for two more weeks.

Report an error