Advertisement

Kelowna Fire Department extinguishes exhaust fan fire at Pandosy pizzeria

A fire that started in the exhaust fan at a Pandosy-area restaurant on Sunday morning caused quite the scene. Global News

A fire that started in the exhaust fan at a Pandosy-area restaurant on Sunday morning caused quite the scene.

“There were flames when I came in, mostly carbon build-up from the exhaust fan of the pizza oven that caught fire from an over-heated fan,” said Jason Picklik, Kelowna Fire Department platoon captain.

“We extinguished it upon arrival.”

Click to play video: 'Investigation continues into massive fire at IKO Industries in Calgary'
Investigation continues into massive fire at IKO Industries in Calgary

The fire, which broke out inside Famosa Pizzeria, was quickly put out and did not damage the inside of the restaurant. However, the building where it started is part of a multi-unit structure, Sopa Square, prompting a large presence of first responders at the scene.

Story continues below advertisement

“Because it’s a big structure, we had a multi-unit response that we downgraded when we arrived,” Picklik said.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.
By providing your email address, you have read and agree to Global News' Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Picklik says that the incident serves as a good reminder for restaurants to regularly clean their exhaust vents.

“Anything to do with exhaust, you should probably clean it out,”

“Any build-up like that with a little bit of heat will combust and cause a fire.”

Picklik added the pizzeria will likely be closed for the remainder of the day.

Sponsored content

AdChoices