Highway 1 reopened in North Vancouver after RCMP respond to man in mental health crisis

Click to play video: 'Highway 1 in North Vancouver shut down for almost 4 hours'
Highway 1 in North Vancouver shut down for almost 4 hours
WATCH: Traffic on highway one in North Vancouver was shut down for almost four hours today due to a dramatic police incident. RCMP say they initially responded to a report of a man in a mental health crisis along the Mosquito Creek trail below the overpass – May 29, 2023

North Vancouver RCMP said they had reached a “positive resolution” to a police incident that prompted the temporary closure of Highway 1 on Monday, snarling traffic.

The closure came as Mounties responded to reports of a “man acting erratically and causing public alarm” on the Mosquito Creek trail beneath the freeway overpass.

In a media release, RCMP said they began receiving reports about the man around 9:30 a.m.

It said responding officers found a man apparently having a mental health crisis, and in possession of “a number of makeshift weapons.” The man acted aggressively towards and threatened officers, RCMP said.

“Due to the steep terrain and difficult accessibility of the location, and in an effort to resolve the situation peacefully, responding officers withdrew and contained the area,” police said in the release.

Story continues below advertisement

RCMP called in a crisis negotiator and the Integrated Emergency Response Team, and consulted with a psychologist over the phone.

Police “safely apprehended” the man under the Mental Health Act around 1:30 p.m., according to the release.

The highway was closed in both directions between Capilano Road for eastbound traffic and Westview Drive for westbound traffic, for about an hour, reopening shortly after 1:30 p.m.

The Mosquito Creek Trail was also closed under the highway during the incident.

Click to play video: 'High-risk police incident in Chilliwack ends in arrest'
High-risk police incident in Chilliwack ends in arrest


Sponsored content