Alleged unlicensed, impaired driver in fatal Toronto crash released on bail

Click to play video: 'Alleged unlicensed, impaired driver in Toronto crash released on bail'
Alleged unlicensed, impaired driver in Toronto crash released on bail
WATCH: A bail hearing today for a unlicensed driver accused of impaired and dangerous driving causing the death of Hazela Baksh – Apr 27, 2023

A driver who police allege was unlicensed and impaired at the time of a Toronto crash last week that killed a 64-year-old woman has been released on bail.

Toronto police announced on Thursday that multiple charges had been laid against a 38-year-old Toronto woman after a four-vehicle crash late on April 18 at Albion Road and Finch Avenue West.

Police previously said that a 2018 Nissan Altima was heading east on Albion Road approaching Finch Avenue when it struck three vehicles that were stopped at the intersection at a red light.

The Nissan crashed into the three vehicles from behind, police added.

The driver of a Toyota Rav 4, who the family has identified as 64-year-old Hazela Baksh, died at the scene.

Baksh’s sister Hasheda McCade told Global News that Baksh was killed in the collision while she was on her way home from a mosque.

Story continues below advertisement

McCade said her sister, the eldest of eight children, would go to the mosque every night to break the fast for Ramadan.

Hazela Baksh died at the scene. Facebook

The mosque is approximately 1.5 kilometres from the scene of the crash.

Police said the driver of the Nissan was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries while all other passengers suffered minor injuries.

In Thursday’s update, police announced that the driver of the Nissan was unlicensed and is facing numerous charges.

Tara MacMunn was charged with dangerous operation causing death, two counts of dangerous operation causing bodily harm, impaired operation causing death, two counts of impaired operation causing bodily harm, and a Highway Traffic Act offence.

She appeared in a Toronto court on Thursday and was released on $10,000 bail.

Story continues below advertisement

The Toronto Police traffic services unit is continuing to investigate and officers said anyone who has video footage can contact police.

— with files from Catherine McDonald and Hannah Jackson

Sponsored content