Advertisement

Lithium-ion battery cause of house fire in northwest Calgary

Click to play video: 'Lithium-ion battery cause of house fire in Calgary’s northwest: CFD'
Lithium-ion battery cause of house fire in Calgary’s northwest: CFD
WATCH: An intense fire erupted in a northwest Calgary garage, sending two people to hospital Wednesday night. It is believed a lithium-ion battery exploded, causing the house to go up in flames. Meghan Cobb reports. – Apr 13, 2023

Batteries are believed to be the cause of a house fire in northwest Calgary on Wednesday evening, the Calgary Fire Department said.

The fire was reported in the Sherwood Mount N.W. area at around 8:40 p.m., the fire department said.

Neighbours reported hearing explosions before the fire broke out.

The garage was engulfed in flames and the fire spread to the attic of the house.

Breaking news from Canada and around the world sent to your email, as it happens.

A father and daughter were in the house at the time but both escaped. Both were taken to hospital for smoke inhalation injuries, a Thursday morning news release said.

There were also two cats in the house: one escaped but the other one is still missing.

Story continues below advertisement

Carol Henke, public information office for the CFD, said there is nothing suspicious about the fire.

Lithium-ion batteries in the garage are believed to be the cause, she said.

Sponsored content

AdChoices