Durham Regional Police say two workers were found dead after crews pulled them from a trench following a construction site collapse.
Police said the incident occurred on Rossland Road between Ravenscroft Road and Westney Road on Monday afternoon when four workers became buried in the trench.
Two of the four workers were pulled by crews hours later early Tuesday and were pronounced dead, police said.
The other two had been rescued and were taken to hospital.
Read more: 2 workers trapped in trench, 2 others taken to hospital after construction accident in Ajax: police
On Monday, a spokesperson for Ornge Air Ambulance said a man in his 20s was taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre with serious injuries.
Police said another man was taken to a local hospital with minor injuries on Monday.
Get daily National news
A spokesperson for the Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development said the constructor is Grascan Construction Ltd. and the employer of the workers is Direct Undeground Inc.
- 3 clam fishermen die off coast of Savary Island when boat capsizes
- Saskatchewan’s hospital safety review expected to cost $1 million
- Saskastchewan Roughriders prepare for first CFL game in Saskatoon in 35 years
- ‘Completely ridiculous’: $547,000 in B.C. government funding for 2 tenants in Vancouver SRO
It is unclear how the trench collapse occurred and the Ministry said the investigation is ongoing.
— with files from Global News’ Hannah Jackson
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.