Man and woman arrested after car chase down busy Halifax street

Halifax Regional Police, which investigated Chelsea's case, refused to provide an interview for this story. Lee Brown/The Canadian Press

A man and a woman have been placed under arrest after a brief car chase on a busy Halifax street Saturday morning.

In a release, Halifax Regional Police said officers became aware of a “vehicle of interest” in relation to an RCMP file in Tantallon earlier in the morning.

“Officers located the vehicle while conducting proactive community patrols driving in the area of Spring Garden Road,” the release said.

“An attempt was made to stop the vehicle at which time it failed to stop. The vehicle was not pursued further in the interest of public safety due to vehicle and pedestrian traffic levels.”

The release said the truck was spotted “moments later” in the north end of Barrington Street and had damage from a collision with a curb.

Read more: 2 arrested after home invasion, armed robbery in Lower Sackville

Story continues below advertisement

The two suspects, both age 28, abandoned the truck and fled into the woods near the foot of the MacKay Bridge. They were taken into custody without incident.

“Police had the north end of Barrington Street blocked for a period of time dealing with the investigation as well as the disabled truck the suspects were in,” it said. “Police also had a notable presence in the Africville parking lot where the suspects were located and arrested.”

In a release late Saturday afternoon, the RCMP said the pair are suspects in an alleged home invasion and armed robbery in Hatchet Lake earlier in the morning.

Read more: Nova Scotia reports 8 new cases of COVID-19

Police received a report around 7 a.m. of a robbery that happened at a home in the area about two hours prior.

“The culprits stole some of the victims’ belongings and fled the scene in the victims’ vehicle,” the release said.

“The vehicle was subsequently located by Halifax Regional Police in Halifax where (a) 28 year old man and a 28 year old woman were taken into custody.”

The incident remains under investigation.


Sponsored content