August 12, 2013 8:40 pm
Updated: August 12, 2013 8:41 pm

Accidental chemical mixing causes Victoria hotel to be evacuated

A A

Earlier today a hotel in Victoria had to evacuate their guests after an employee accidentally mixed two products together that resulted in making a toxic gas.

The Victoria Fire Department was called to the Embassy Hotel after an employee accidentally mixed two chemicals together, which produced an “off-gassing effect” that was toxic. VFD had to evacuate the hotel and call in the CRD Hazmat team to deal with the clean-up, says VFD acting captain Oscar Pohl.

The Embassy Hotel made sure all 70 guest rooms were evacuated and the hotel’s General Manager John Clisby said, “it wasn’t a big ordeal as most guests were out during the time” of the chemical spill.

The employee has been treated and released without injury.

If the chemical gas had spread it had the potential to be burning to your skin or produce breathing issues, says Capt. Pohl.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.