UN warns Myanmar of ‘severe consequences’ over harsh response to protests

Click to play video: 'Protesters face prison time under new law in Myanmar' Protesters face prison time under new law in Myanmar
WATCH: Protesters face prison time under new law in Myanmar – Feb 15, 2021

Protesters opposed to Myanmar’s military coup blocked train services between Yangon and a southern city on Tuesday, hours after a U.N. envoy warned the army of “severe consequences” for any harsh response to the pro-democracy demonstrations.

Despite the deployment of armoured vehicles and soldiers in some major cities on the weekend, protesters have kept up their campaign to denounce the Feb. 1 takeover and demand the release of detained leader Aung San Suu Kyi and others.

Read more: Anti-coup protesters in Myanmar keep pressure on junta

As well as the demonstrations in towns and cities across the ethnically diverse country, a civil disobedience movement has brought strikes that are crippling many functions of government.

Protesters milled onto a sun-baked stretch of railway track waving placards in support of the disobedience movement, stopping the service between Yangon and the southern city of Mawlamyine, live images broadcast by media showed.

Story continues below advertisement

“Release our leaders immediately,” and “People’s power, give it back,” the crowd chanted.

Click to play video: 'Anti-military demonstrations continue for 9th straight day in Myanmar' Anti-military demonstrations continue for 9th straight day in Myanmar
Anti-military demonstrations continue for 9th straight day in Myanmar – Feb 14, 2021

Crowds also gathered in two places in the main city of Yangon – at a traditional protest site near the main university campus and at the central bank, where protesters hoped to press staff to join the civil disobedience movement.

About 30 Buddhist monks protested against the coup with prayers.

The turnout at protests this week has been smaller than the hundreds of thousands who joined earlier demonstrations, but opposition to the army takeover that halted a decade of unsteady transition to democracy remains widespread.

The army cut off the internet for a second consecutive night early on Tuesday though it was again restored at about 9 a.m. (0230 GMT)

Story continues below advertisement

Read more: Anger at Myanmar police grows over arrests as anti-coup rallies enter 2nd week

U.N. Special Envoy Christine Schraner Burgener spoke on Monday to the deputy head of the junta in what has become a rare channel of communication between the army and the outside world, urging restraint and the restoration of communications.

“Ms Schraner Burgener has reinforced that the right of peaceful assembly must fully be respected and that demonstrators are not subjected to reprisals,” U.N. spokesman Farhan Haq said at the United Nations.

“She has conveyed to the Myanmar military that the world is watching closely, and any form of heavy-handed response is likely to have severe consequences.”

In an account of the meeting, Myanmar’s army said junta Number Two, Soe Win, had discussed the administration’s plans and information on “the true situation of what’s happening in Myanmar”.

Click to play video: 'Myanmar coup: Biden issues sanctions against Myanmar’s military' Myanmar coup: Biden issues sanctions against Myanmar’s military
Myanmar coup: Biden issues sanctions against Myanmar’s military – Feb 10, 2021

The unrest has revived memories of bloody outbreaks of opposition to almost half a century of direct army rule that ended in 2011 when the military began a process of withdrawing from civilian politics.

Story continues below advertisement

‘Security patrols’

The army said late on Monday that protests were harming stability and had left people in fear.

“People are delighted to have the security patrols and the security forces will conduct them day and night,” its True News information team said.

The military was due to hold a news conference later on Tuesday.

Read more: Myanmar coup leader urges country to ‘join hands’ with military for democracy

An activist group, the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners, said it had recorded 426 arrests between the coup and Monday and it feared the military was using internet blackouts to arrest more opponents, particularly after it suspended legal constraints on search and detention powers.

Violence during the protests has been limited compared with that under previous juntas, but police have opened fire several times, mostly with rubber bullets, to disperse protesters, including on Monday.

One woman who was shot in the head in the capital Naypyitaw last week is not expected to survive.

The army took power alleging fraud in a Nov. 8 general election in which Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy party had won a landslide. The electoral commission had dismissed the army’s complaints.

Story continues below advertisement

Suu Kyi, 75, spent nearly 15 years under house arrest for her efforts to end military rule and is again being kept under guard at her home in Naypyitaw.

Click to play video: 'Myanmar coup: Tens of thousands rally in cities against military coup' Myanmar coup: Tens of thousands rally in cities against military coup
Myanmar coup: Tens of thousands rally in cities against military coup – Feb 7, 2021

She now faces charges of illegally importing six walkie-talkie radios and is being held on remand until Wednesday.

The coup has prompted an angry response from Western countries and the United States has already set some sanctions against the ruling generals.

But China has taken a softer approach, arguing stability should be the priority in its neighbour, where it has close contacts with the military. China did, however, join other U.N. Security Council members in calling for the release of Suu Kyi and others.

Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi told a briefing in Jakarta that Myanmar should stick to the path to democracy.

Story continues below advertisement

“The safety and security of the people of Myanmar is the main issue and that the transition to democracy is advanced,” she said.

(Additional reporting by Agustinus Beo Da Costa in Jakarta; Writing by Matthew Tostevin and Robert Birsel; Editing by Lincoln Feast)

Sponsored content