Three people were taken to hospital early Sunday morning, including one fire crew member, after a fire in a home in the Parkview neighbourhood.
Fire crews were called just after 4:30 a.m. after flames were spotted at the back of a home at 90 Avenue and 144 Street.
Four units arrived on the scene three minutes after the call was made, and then another two units arrived shortly after.
Two people in the home were taken to the Misericordia Hospital, one man in stable condition with minor injuries; the other, a woman with serious injuries in critical condition.
Neighbour Marie Slusar said there was a family living in the home who had lived there for about 10 years.
“They are such wonderful neighbours,” she said. “They were really devoted to their children.”
One of the fire crew members on the scene was assessed for a minor injury by EMS and released shortly after.
The fire was declared out at 5:40 a.m.
Edmonton Fire Rescue Services confirmed on Tuesday the fire was accidental and that it started in the basement, caused by an “electrical malfunction.”
Damages are estimated to be $400,000.