Ottawa police say a four-year-old boy was found safe in Toronto three hours after he was declared missing on Tuesday. His father has been arrested in connection to the incident.
Police said they were called to a home in the Ottawa suburb of Orléans at 7:20 a.m. where the boy was reported missing. He was believed to be with his father, Jonathan Gray.
Ottawa police issued a follow-up tweet at 10:23 a.m. saying the boy had been located safely in Toronto.
Toronto police tweeted shortly before 11 a.m. that Gray had been arrested. A later statement from the Ottawa police said a 27-year-old man had been taken into custody in relation to the incident.
Police have yet to provide details on the arrest, but Global News heard from a witness that the suspect, driving a silver 2008 Nissan, pulled off into a driveway near Tecumseh and King streets in Toronto pursued by more than a dozen police vehicles on Tuesday morning.
The witness, who did not wish to be named in a story, said the situation seemed to be resolved over the course of 10-15 minutes without incident.
The witness said police removed the young boy from the Nissan and took him from the scene in a separate vehicle.
Ottawa police had initially tweeted Tuesday morning to say they were issuing an Amber Alert and had begun the process with the Ontario Provincial Police of sending out a notification.
Before the notification went out, however, Toronto police said they had safely located the boy, ending the need for an alert.
Toronto police later clarified on Twitter that the Amber Alert process was “started but never completed.”