Classes have resumed at a high school in Laval after students and staff were forced to leave the building on Wednesday morning due a possible carbon monoxide leak.
Urgences-santé said 18 children and three adults from Odyssée-des-Jeunes school were taken to hospital after showing symptoms of possible carbon monoxide poisoning, including headaches and nausea.
Most of the injuries were minor, according to Urgences-santé. Paramedics could not confirm the source of the leak and were not able to say if there is a carbon monoxide detector in the school.
Laval police confirmed that emergency services were called around 8:30 a.m. to the school on Cyrille-Delage Street.
The school, which is located on Cyrille-Delage Street, has students in grades 7 and 8. There are about 910 students between the ages of 12 and 15.
Annie Goyette, a spokesperson for the Commission scolaire de Laval, said the leak was probably a result of renovation work being done in the school.
She could not confirm if it was a carbon monoxide leak.
— With files from Global News’ Phil Carpenter