Advertisement

Chinese province at centre of coronavirus outbreak reports no new cases outside Wuhan

Click to play video 'Canadian doctor returns from China with critical COVID-19 lessons' Canadian doctor returns from China with critical COVID-19 lessons
Dr. Bruce Aylward, the Canadian head of the World Health Organization's COVID-19 mission in China, has just returned from Wuhan. Global National's Dawna Friesen asks him about what lessons can be learned from the outbreak there, and why he believes worst-case scenario planning for countries like Canada is essential – Mar 5, 2020

China’s central province of Hubei, excluding the provincial capital Wuhan, reported zero new cases of coronavirus over 24 hours for the first time during the outbreak, as authorities continued to contain imported infections in other parts of the country.

Wuhan, the epicenter of the epidemic, reported 126 new confirmed cases on Thursday but there were no new infections in the province apart from those, the National Health Commission said on Friday.

Elsewhere in China, schools in provinces reporting no new cases for a number of days, started to set their opening dates in a sign of the country returning to normal.

READ MORE: China’s coronavirus slowdown gives hope for containment in other countries, experts say

Qinghai, a northwestern province in China that had reported no new infections for 29 days as of March 5, said it would stagger the start date of different school days from March 11 to March 20, according to a notice posted on an official website on Friday.

Story continues below advertisement

Separately, the southerwestern province of Guizhou, which reported no new infections for 18 days, had said at the end of February that schools would start from March 16.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Outside of Hubei, there were 17 new confirmed cases, bringing the total new infections in mainland China to 143 on Thursday, up from 139 cases a day earlier.

Click to play video 'COVID-19: Wuhan closes hospital as officials report drop in cases' COVID-19: Wuhan closes hospital as officials report drop in cases
COVID-19: Wuhan closes hospital as officials report drop in cases – Mar 2, 2020

Of the 17 new cases, 16 were imported from outside of China – 11 in Gansu, four in Beijing and one in Shanghai.

A total of 311 passengers arriving at Gansu’s provincial capital of Lanzhou from Iran were quarantined, state television reported late on Thursday.

Last month, Gansu became the first province to lower its emergency response measures from level I to level III, reflecting the lack of new infections.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: Coronavirus pushes west as countries prepare for months of trouble

Beijing’s four cases were from Italy.

As new cases dwindle in China, attention has turned to potential infections arriving from overseas.

Authorities in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangdong have all vowed to quarantine travelers from countries hit the hardest by the coronavirus, which Beijing identified as South Korea, Japan, Iran and Italy.

The overall accumulated number of confirmed cases in mainland China stood at 80,552 as of Thursday.

Click to play video 'Coronavirus outbreak: China death toll nearing 3,000 but new cases fall again' Coronavirus outbreak: China death toll nearing 3,000 but new cases fall again
Coronavirus outbreak: China death toll nearing 3,000 but new cases fall again – Mar 3, 2020

The death toll from the outbreak in mainland China was 3,042 as of the end of Thursday, up by 30 from the previous day.

Story continues below advertisement

Hubei reported 29 new deaths, while in Wuhan, 23 people died.

Reporting by Ryan Woo and Huizhong Wu; Additional reporting by Beijing Newsroom and Andrew Galbraith Writing by Engen Tham Editing by Christian Schmollinger and Raju Gopalakrishnan