Advertisement

2 alleged members of Islamic State cell removed from Syria jail, now in U.S. custody

WATCH ABOVE: Trump lays out warning for Erdogan if Turkey attacks Kurdish troops

WASHINGTON — Two British militants believed to be part of an Islamic State group that beheaded hostages and was known as “The Beatles” have been moved out of a detention centre in Syria and are in American custody, U.S. officials said Wednesday.

U.S. President Donald Trump said earlier Wednesday that the U.S. has moved some of the Islamic State prisoners amid fears some could escape custody as Turkey invades northeast Syria.

READ MORE: ISIS members allegedly from group that beheaded hostages say revoking U.K. citizenship unfair

The two men, El Shafee Elsheikh and Alexanda Amon Kotey, along with other British jihadis, allegedly made up the IS cell nicknamed “The Beatles” by surviving captives because of their English accents.

In 2014 and 2015, the militants held more than 20 Western hostages in Syria and tortured many of them. It beheaded seven American, British and Japanese journalists and aid workers and a group of Syrian soldiers, boasting of the butchery in videos released to the world.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: ‘Stupid endless wars’: Trump defends decision to pull U.S. troops from Syria

U.S. officials said the two were taken out of Syria by U.S. military and law enforcement personnel to ensure they did not escape if security broke down as a result of the Turkish incursion.

Turkey is attacking the U.S.-backed Syrian Defence Forces, a Kurdish force that battled the Islamic State group alongside American troops and now is responsible for guarding thousands of detained militants.

Trump says ISIS fighters could escape into Europe
Trump says ISIS fighters could escape into Europe

But guarding those prisoners is now expected to be less of a priority for the Kurdish forces as they rush to defend their territory against the invading Turkish military.

Trump told reporters at the White House that some of the “most dangerous” had been moved, but he did not say how many or where they had been taken. U.S. Officials said just a small number of high-profile Islamic State detainees are being relocated, but thousands of others remain in custody and there are no immediate concerns the Kurds will completely abandon the facilities.

“We’re putting them in different locations where it’s secure,” Trump said.

READ MORE: Thousands flee Syrian border towns as Turkish military launches offensive

The U.S. officials said that some Kurds left the prisons to join the fight but did not flee in large numbers. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations, said operations against remaining members of the Islamic State group are on hold following the invasion Wednesday by Turkey, which sees the Kurds as a threat and is trying to create a buffer zone between the territory held by the SDF and the Syrian border.

Story continues below advertisement

In March, Kurdish and U.S. forces cleared the last members of the Islamic State group from what was left of their self-declared caliphate, which once sprawled across a large part of Iraq and Syria.

Turkish tanks deployed at Syrian border as ground offensive begins
Turkish tanks deployed at Syrian border as ground offensive begins

U.S. officials said American forces are not out doing patrols looking for Islamic State group fighters because their Kurdish partners are more focused on the Turkish fight. But they said U.S. operations could restart quickly if needed.

About 30 to 50 U.S. troops were moved out of the way from two outposts in the border region. There are a number of U.S. forces in other bases just outside the so-called safe zone as well as in Manbij and other locations around the country. They have not been moved but are mainly staying in place to avoid attacks.

READ MORE: Trump, Syria and Turkey — Here’s a look at what’s happening

There are about 2,500 Islamic State foreign fighters being detained in Syria, along with about 10,000 fighters from Syria and Iraq.

Trump and other U.S. officials have repeatedly pressed other nations across Europe and the Middle East to take back the detainees from their countries. But international leaders have been largely reluctant and have been slow to take any back.

Trump decision opens the door for full-scale Turkish invasion of Syria
Trump decision opens the door for full-scale Turkish invasion of Syria

“They should go back, by the way, they should go back to Europe. Many of them came from Europe. And they should go back to Germany and France,” Trump said Wednesday.

Story continues below advertisement

Trump said other leaders told him they didn’t want the detainees.

“We don’t want them either,” he said. “Nobody wants them but they’re bad and somebody has to watch over ’em.”