August 21, 2019 10:48 pm
Updated: August 22, 2019 10:26 am

Firefighters respond to ammonia leak at northeast Edmonton storage facility

WATCH ABOVE: An ammonia leak in northeast Edmonton shutdown several roads in the area.

A A

Fire crews were dispatched to Trenton Cold Storage in northeast Edmonton after an ammonia leak was reported to them on Wednesday evening.

A spokesperson for Edmonton Fire Rescue Services told Global News the call came in at 7:21 p.m. and firefighters arrived five minutes later. A total of 10 crews were dispatched to the facility, which is located at 124 Avenue and 66 Street.

A strong smell of ammonia was noticed by firefighters as soon as they arrived, according to a fire official.

View photos of the scene in the gallery below:

The spokesperson said crews were still checking the building for potential occupants at 8:30 p.m.

A fire official later said firefighters removed six people from the facility safely and then tended to the leak.

No injuries or illnesses were reported.

Police were called in to help close local roads in the area as emergency crews responded. The fire department spokesperson said people living in the area should close their windows and stay inside if they can.

It was not immediately clear when closed roads would reopen.

READ MORE: Southwest Edmonton arena reopened after ammonia gas leak prompted evacuation

Watch below: (From March 14, 2019) The Terwillegar Rec Centre was evacuated Thursday evening because of an ammonia gas leak.

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.