August 10, 2019 4:25 pm

1 person injured after suspected kitchen fire in Winnipeg apartment complex

The Winnipeg Fire Department logo on a fire truck.

Elisha Dacey/Global News
A A

One person was taken to hospital after a fire broke out at a Winnipeg apartment complex.

Firefighters were called to a three-story apartment building on Gagnon Street shortly before 1 p.m. on Saturday, according to the fire department.

Crews found a fire in a third-floor suite and brought the fire under control.

READ MORE: Busy night for WFPS, as firefighters battle house, car and garage fires hours apart

They say the fire is still under investigation but preliminary observations suggest it started in the kitchen.

The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service wants to remind people to always stay in the kitchen when cooking, that stove burners should always be turned off when you leave the kitchen, and that anything that can catch fire should stay away from the stovetop, like oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels and curtains.

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.