Advertisement

Ammonia leak from ice rink the cause of Waterfront evacuation: Hamilton fire

Hamilton fire says a compressor in the refrigeration room at the waterfront's outdoor ice rink was the cause of an ammonia leak Thursday night. .
Hamilton fire says a compressor in the refrigeration room at the waterfront's outdoor ice rink was the cause of an ammonia leak Thursday night. . Google Maps

Hamilton fire says a compressor inside the refrigeration room used for the outdoor ice rink at Pier 8 caused an ammonia leak precipitating an evacuation on Thursday afternoon.

Deputy fire Chief John Verbeek told Global News that hazmat teams arrived at a location near the Waterfront Grill building on Discovery Drive around 5:00 p.m. to fix a “minor leak.”

READ MORE: 3 hikers rescued by Hamilton Fire at Albion Falls face charges, city councillor says

“As a precaution, firefighters evacuated the nearby area, including Williams CafĂ©, and ventilated the room,” said Verbeek. “Hazmat crews then entered the room and were able to shut off the supply of ammonia to the compressor.”

Verbeek said the building was turned back over to the owners around 9:00 p.m. on Thursday night after crews ventilated the refrigeration room.

There were no injuries.

Story continues below advertisement

WATCH: Hamilton police investigating suspicious death after woman was killed in overnight fire

Hamilton police investigating suspicious death after woman was killed in overnight fire
Hamilton police investigating suspicious death after woman was killed in overnight fire
Global News Redesign Global News Redesign
A fresh new look for Global News is here, tell us what you think
Take a Survey

Sponsored Stories