June 17, 2019 7:23 pm
Updated: June 18, 2019 7:37 am

U.S. to deploy 1,000 additional troops to Middle East as tension with Iran escalates

ABOVE: U.S. to send more troops to the Middle East as tensions with Iran escalate

A A

Acting U.S. Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan announced on Monday the deployment of about 1,000 more troops to the Middle East for what he said were “defensive purposes,” citing concerns about a threat from Iran.

“The recent Iranian attacks validate the reliable, credible intelligence we have received on hostile behaviour by Iranian forces and their proxy groups that threaten United States personnel and interests across the region,” Shanahan said in a statement.

WATCH: U.S. tensions with Iran continue to escalate

Story continues below

READ MORE: Trump claims oil tanker attack has Iran ‘written all over it’: Here’s what we know

Reuters first reported plans to send U.S. additional troops to the Middle East earlier on Monday.

Fears of a confrontation between Iran and the United States have mounted since last Thursday when two oil tankers were attacked, more than a year after President Donald Trump announced Washington was withdrawing from a 2015 nuclear deal.

READ MORE: Saudi Arabia blames Iran for oil tanker attacks, calls for ‘decisive’ action

Iran said on Monday it would soon breach limits on how much enriched uranium it can stockpile under the deal, which a White House National Security Council spokesman said amounted to “nuclear blackmail.”

WATCH: UAE minister says ‘state sponsor’ behind oil tanker attacks

The 2015 accord, which Iran and the other signatories have maintained following Trump’s decision, caps Iran‘s stock of low-enriched uranium at 300 kg enriched to 3.67 percent.

© 2019 Reuters

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.