Advertisement

1 person injured in Saskatoon house fire caused by unattended candle

WATCH ABOVE: Evan Pyra was given an award of merit by the Saskatoon Fire Department for his heroic actions during a house fire on March 26. Nicole Stillger reports.

One person was sent to hospital after a candle started a house fire on Tuesday morning in Saskatoon’s Haultain neighbourhood.

Firefighters said smoke was coming from the house at 1039 4th St. E. when they arrived.

READ MORE: Lemberg, Sask. hotel goes up in flames, destroys entire building

The gas line to the house was shut off, Saskatoon Fire Department officials said, and crews then entered the house and put out the fire on the main floor.

One person who had evacuated the home was treated at the scene by firefighter paramedics before being taken to hospital for further treatment of smoke inhalation.

The fire department said on March 28 that further investigation identified another tenant occupying a separate suite in the house who “heroically” aided in alerting and evacuating the other tenant.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: Two dead in multiple-house fire west of Swift Current

A fire investigator found the blaze was caused by an unattended candle in a bathroom.

The fire department is reminding people to always consider the placement of candles and what combustible materials may be around them.

Damage is estimated at $80,000.

No other injuries were reported.

WATCH BELOW: Fire destroys home under construction in Greenbryre Estates (Jan. 2019)

Fire destroys home under construction in Greenbryre Estates
Fire destroys home under construction in Greenbryre Estates

-With files from Thomas Piller