Quebec Deputy Transport Minister Chantal Rouleau says transit officials are working on a new back-up plan for Deux-Montagnes train line commuters.
Last week, government officials announced that many commuters would be shuttled to Côte-Vertu Metro station as work ramps up on the $6.3-billion REM light rail train project.
The busy Deux-Montagnes train line will be partially closed in 2020. It will then completely shut down from 2021-2023.
However, one problem with the plan is that Côte-Vertu Metro station will be closed for several months in 2020 so that an underground parking lot can be built.
“We won’t be sending people to a closed Metro station of course,” said Rouleau at a press conference on Monday.
Last week, Rouleau said that Côte-Vertu station was chosen because it was on the western side of the busy orange Metro line and could handle the extra 16,000 riders — but with the station being closed, officials are still deciding where to send transit users.
“Maybe De la Savane station or several stations,” said Rouleau. “We are looking at the most comfortable solution for commuters.”
Transit officials say commuters should prepare to add an extra 30-45 minutes to their daily commute.