TORONTO – A Toronto pastor says it’s time to “begin the journey of healing” in the wake of the sentencing of a serial killer who terrorized the city’s gay community.
Rev. Jeff Rock told attendees at a vigil for eight men murdered by Bruce McArthur that “We will not let hate win.”
McArthur was sentenced on Friday to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years, meaning he will be 91 before he can apply for any form of release.
McArthur, a self-employed landscaper, pleaded guilty last month to eight counts of first-degree murder for men he killed between 2010 and 2017.
Get daily National news
His victims were all men from the city’s gay village: Andrew Kinsman, Selim Esen, Majeed Kayhan, Dean Lisowick, Soroush Mahmudi, Skandaraj Navaratnam, Abdulbasir Faizi and Kirushna Kanagaratnam.
At the vigil Sunday evening, Rock said McArthur’s crimes – along with those of Alexandre Bissonnette, who was sentenced on Friday for the Quebec City mosque shooting – were done “out of hate.”
- Progress, but work left to do in reform to Quebec youth protection system: minister
- These are the Canadian regions with the highest rates of breast cancer
- RCMP watchdog says police mishandled every part of case involving woman later killed
- RCMP won’t release China policing pact despite Conservative, NDP pressure
VIDEO: Vigil at Toronto church remembers 8 victims of Bruce McArthur
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.