Feb. 12 UPDATE: The Moose Jaw Police Service have confirmed that 34-year-old Benjamin Plant did not survive the Feb. 4 fire. He passed away on Feb. 5 after being taken to hospital in critical condition. Police do note consider the fire suspicious, and it is still under investigation.
A man was taken to hospital in critical condition caused by what firefighters believe to be smoke inhalation, after a townhouse caught fire Monday morning in Moose Jaw, Sask.
The Moose Jaw Fire Department said they received a call to the 300 block of Ross Street West shortly before 1 a.m. by the occupant of another unit, who said he smelled gas.
Firefighters said the fire started in the kitchen and was contained before being put out quickly.
Residents of the building were evacuated, but were able to return home a short time later, according to firefighters.
Firefighters said they are still investigating, but do not believe it was suspicious at this time.