Advertisement

Ammonia leak prompts evacuation of Surrey poultry processing facility

Firefighters attend the scene of an ammonia leak in Surrey early Saturday morning. .
Firefighters attend the scene of an ammonia leak in Surrey early Saturday morning. . Shane MacKichan

A portion of King George Boulevard was closed for several hours overnight, as crews investigated an ammonia leak.

The incident happened at Sunrise Poultry on 73rd Avenue, just before 1 a.m.

READ MORE: Deadly Fernie ammonia leak caused by decision to operate leaky chiller: report

Three Surrey Fire Service hazmat units were dispatched to the facility, where battalion chief Reo Jerome said about 20 workers had assembled outside.

He said staff initially believed two workers were unaccounted for, but crews were able to locate them safely.

WATCH: Deadly ammonia leak in Fernie blamed on faulty system

Deadly ammonia leak in Fernie blamed on faulty system
Deadly ammonia leak in Fernie blamed on faulty system

According to Jerome, a company was on site doing work on new detection devices when the alarm initially went off.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: Langley ammonia leak forces evacuations, road closures

He said some ammonia did leak, but by the time hazmat technicians had geared up and made entry, there was no detectable trace of ammonia in the air.

No one was hurt, and crews released the scene.

Global News Redesign Global News Redesign
A fresh new look for Global News is here, tell us what you think
Take a Survey

Sponsored Stories