Advertisement
Canada

Family treated for carbon monoxide poisoning at Candle Lake area trailer

Parkland Ambulance says two men were hospitalized after a motor vehicle collision this weekend near Prince Albert, Sask.
A family was treated for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning at a trailer in northern Saskatchewan on the May long weekend. File / Global News

Parkland Ambulance says a family of five was treated for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning on the May long weekend.

Paramedics were called to a trailer in the Candle Lake area at around 9:40 a.m. CT on Saturday.

READ MORE: Employees ill from carbon monoxide at Saskatoon business

A 34-year-old man and a 32-year-old woman along with three children – including a 6-month-old baby – had varying signs of CO poisoning like vomiting, headache and lethargy.

The family was cared for by paramedics and then taken to Victoria Hospital in Prince Albert, Sask.

WATCH: The dangers of carbon monoxide

The dangers of carbon monoxide
The dangers of carbon monoxide

Parkland Ambulance officials said they had lit the furnace in the trailer for the first time this season and failed to remove the winter covers from the vents. Without proper ventilation, dangerous levels of CO built up.

Story continues below advertisement

Officials reminded people that every home or trailer should have a working smoke and CO detector.

Candle Lake is approximately 215 kilometres north of Saskatoon.